Monday, August 29, 2011

Statins

My doctor called today to tell me the results of my recent blood test.  My cholesterol is high – a little over 200.  My triglycerides are high.  It’s been that way as long as I can remember.  I was given a cholesterol medication (a statin) once, and a month later I couldn’t walk.  A couple of years after that I had to have knee replacement surgery.  The doctors all claimed the cholesterol medication was not to blame.  I have since refused any and all medications currently on the market for treatment of high cholesterol.  They all have the same disclaimer – inflammation, impaired ability to walk, joint paint, etc.  They want me to take that stuff?  Really?  I don’t think so.  The last time my doctor tried to put me on some pill, I told her I thought the experts were wrong about having a score of 245 being a bad thing.  Every day new research debunks old research and the medical community completely reverses their previous findings.  If we just wait long enough, research will show that having cholesterol at less than 200 is really, really bad for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment